INTRODUCTION TO ANDARA RESORT & VILLAS
Commonly referred to as ‘Millionaire’s Mile’ in Phuket, Thailand, the Kamala headland that juts out westward comprising the areas of Surin and Kamala is justifiably nicknamed such for the slew of luxurious resorts and private villas that dot the coast. Andara Resort & Villas epitomises the best of upscale Kamala and Phuket, with a series of suites and privately owned villas sprawling over a steep hillside and overlooking the Andaman Sea.
Date of stay: June 2014
Room: 4-Bedroom Penthouse Pool Suite
Reviewed by: Chinmoy Lad
PHOTOS AND VIDEOS by CHINMOYLAD[embedyt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XZ2tXD9ix8[/embedyt]
WHAT I LOVED
- Service. Pleasant and warm. Never overbearing, and rather friendly. Pleased with their service overall.
- Rooms & Bathrooms. Opened in 2010, the rooms are extremely spacious, well laid out with the latest furnishings and fittings, very elegant and sophisticated décor, heavy on the woods, but definitely has an apartment/serviced apartment fitting feel to it. The master bedroom is larger than most large hotel suites – with a king-sized bed and embedded wall-TV, a walk-in closet (with settee) and an ensuite bathroom with twin vanities, separate shower and toilet, an indoor sunken tub and an outdoor overhead shower (and another settee!). Other bedrooms, all ensuite with full but more space-conscious bathrooms and lacking a walk-in closet, are considerably smaller in comparison but arguably cozier.
- Pool. The main pool at the resort is impressive, measuring nearly 40 metres in length. The black-tiled pool has an infinity edge, and is beautifully framed by towering palms and sun loungers, a bar at the base, and a black granite Jacuzzi to the side.
- SILK Restaurant. Lunch and dinner were superb at SILK. It serves fine Thai cuisine with favourites such as a rich massaman curry, fried noodles, and some of the spiciest and best Tom Yum Goong we’ve ever had.
- Bar by the pool. 50% off drinks at happy hour from 4 to 7 PM daily in low season is a great deal
- Gym and Spa. Excellent common area with a very well-equipped gym, including offering on-site Muay Thai training and other classes. The spa is ideal for engaging in a relaxing massage complemented by refreshing local teas, including the Andara Signature massage that combines the therapies of Thai, Oriental and Indian influences, or the Javanese massage, inspired by Balinese techniques, that helps restore balance and harmony with heavier strokes. The rooms at the spa are in line with the resort of the resort – utilising woods and offering a serene, calming atmosphere through the use of trickling water.
POINTS TO NOTE
- Location. “Millionaire’s Mile” on Kamala headland is a bit of a mixed location. Many luxury resorts are situated here, and there are a couple of beaches in the vicinity, but none particularly any good (further compounded by the Government cracking down on encroachment on public beaches), meaning the resorts don’t have much leeway to operate a plush beach club. However, the views are generally spectacular (with nice sunsets) and on the whole, the hillsides are quite secluded and serene while also being within touching distance of much of Phuket’s main attractions.
- Beach. The resort does not have its own beach and the beach club on Kamala Beach is a short ride away. Therefore, this is a point to note if wanting a beach is high on the priority list. The beach club was extremely underwhelming, partly as a result of restrictions placed on resorts. There were two areas on the beach, about 15-minute walk or a short buggy ride from each other.
- Breakfast. There is full buffet spread during peak/high season, the a la carte selection during our low season stay was diverse. However, apart from the pastries which was very good, the other food was not up to standard. Huge disappointment considering the lunch and dinner were superb.
- Lack of Restaurants. Silk is the resort’s only restaurant. Unless deciding to eat out, one restaurant might not suffice for 63 suites and villas during peak season, or for larger families looking for variety.
HOTEL FACT SHEET
- LOCATION: Phuket, Thailand
- OPENED: 2010
- HOTEL ROOMS: 37
- RESIDENCE VILLAS: 26
- RATES FROM: USD 400/night++
Rates are only an approximation and subject to change and availability
OFFICIAL HOTEL PHOTOS AND VIDEOS[embedyt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShFztaVwSck[/embedyt]
© Andara Resort & Villas