Is it a resort? Is it a city hotel? Capella Singapore, on Sentosa Island, splits the difference between the two, offering a low-rise structure with a bit of a history, set away from the main city itself, but only a stone’s throw away (sort of).
Enjoy exclusive benefits including upgrades, resort credit and more when you book this hotel. Click here to book as a preferred Partner
For personalised assistance in booking the hotel including advice on which rooms to book, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Don’t want to enjoy the benefits or our assistance? Book it here.
PHOTOS AND VIDEOS by CHINMOY LAD
WHAT WE LOVED
- Location. This really depends on why you’re in Singapore, or how familiar you are with Singapore. To finish off a long trip, if you don’t plan to go into the main city much and just want to relax, this is great. Even within Sentosa, it’s on a secluded spot that is rather private to Capella Singapore. That said, it is only a short Uber/car ride away from downtown and the Marina Bay area, so it is still (somewhat) easily accessible to relax on the shores of Sentosa without completely comprising on location. The resort also has direct access to Palawan Beach.
- Design, architecture and landscaping. The original architecture design by Sir Norman Foster and the interiors by the late Jaya Ibrahim have created a beautifully elegant atmosphere, and the architecture and landscaping around the property is exceptional. The refurb was led by Andre Fu, whose designs have always offered an understated yet homely and warm touch to the property despite its more darker, industrial-looking tones.
The property is framed around two restored Tanah Merah colonial bungalows dating back to the 1880s, extending seamlessly into the modern structure, and surrounded by 30 acres of incredibly manicured gardens, which feature many different peacocks.
- Rooms, suites and villas. The property houses some of the most spacious rooms in any major city, nevermind Singapore, with the lead-in category, Premier Garden Room, starting at 77 sqm/828 sqft. We recommend opting for the Premier Seaview Room and above to enjoy the views. The rooms are also well laid out, with ample space in the bathroom and a beautiful soaking bathtub, typically with surrounding views. The Constellation Room comes with more outdoor space: a rooftop and a private jacuzzi, and the villas come with separated living spaces and a private plunge pool (though don’t offer too much of a view).
- Manors. Some of the most incredible accommodation in the city of Singapore, the Manors offer three types of stately three-bedroom homes – Colonial, Capella and Contemporary – each with larger pools, a distinctive design (especially the Colonial Manors) and incredible living, dining and entertainment spaces. The two Tanah Merah Colonial Manors feature original artworks, upholstery and woodworks.
- The Living Room. The Living Room, the property’s defacto Club Lounge for guests enjoying club access is situated in one of the original bungalows, which once hosted British officers of the Royal Artillery and held extravagant officers’ balls. The Living Room is open 24-hours and offers daily afternoon tea and other scheduled refreshments.
- Pools. Each of the resort’s 3 pools, one for adults only, one for families and a lap pool, cascades down within the resort’s grounds and is a serene place to enjoy the tranquility of the location.
- Service. Being a boutique property of only 81 rooms, suites and villas, service throughout the property was extremely good with staff, even at breakfast spots, remembering specific preferences. Another excellent example of service was merely a passing conservation as we waited for our taxi with one of Capella’s guest services members, the Culturists, about a food item that we really enjoy which we could not find in a mall nearby – not only was it delivered in-room that same evening within 1 hour, it was presented in style along with the turndown amenities with a lovely note to match.
- Breakfast. Breakfast at Fiamma was extremely good, with a semi-buffet for colder items and hotter dishes made-to-order. There was a reasonable variety across styles of cuisines, especially for a property of its size (although perhaps expected in a city environment such as Singapore’s), with an excellent pastry selection.
- History. Beyond the property’s original grounds and historic bungalows, Capella Singapore was also the historic site for the 2018 North Korea-United States summit, with a plaque embedded at the entrance by the lobby to commemorate it.
- Residences. Capella Singapore has a section dedicated to fully serviced residences for long stays, with 1, 2 and 3-bedroom options available. For more information, check out our dedicated residences section or email us at email@example.com
POINTS TO NOTE
- Location. As per above, Capella Singapore can be the perfect fit for the right type of client. If you’re looking to go into downtown multiple times a day, it probably won’t be the best option. Once a day, every day? It could work. Once or twice during your entire stay, while enjoying a relaxing resort-like getaway? Then it’s perfect!
- Balconies. Perhaps it was just our balcony, but we felt this was extremely underutilised with just an industrial-looking bench and nothing else to enjoy the views and outdoor space with, which brings us to…
- Views. While it’s definitely great to have a resort-like experience in Singapore, do note that the sea views are somewhat detracted by the oil tankers and containers in the vicinity. In that sense, perhaps city views are more appealing after all.
- Dining. As it is a boutique hotel within the city of Singapore, Capella Singapore can be somewhat excused for not having the most vast of dining options on-site as many will be out and about within the city to explore. However, as the property acts as something of a destination hotel/resort where some come to stay for longer periods and enjoy the amenities in full (like we did), we did find the options somewhat lacking with just Fiamma and Cassia. As we were there for a few nights and dined almost entirely on-site for each breakfast, lunch and dinner, the options did feel limited and tired by the 2nd evening, although breakfast on all occasions was a highlight.
Capella Singapore is located about a 30-minute drive from Singapore Changi Airport.
HOTEL FACT SHEET
- LOCATION: Singapore
- OPENED: 2009
- HOTEL ROOMS: 81
- RESIDENCE VILLAS: 0
- RATES FROM: USD $750/night++
OFFICIAL HOTEL PHOTOS
© Capella Singapore / Capella Hotels