One of Hong Kong’s original luxury serviced residences, Pacific Place Apartments blazed the trail for future Hong Kong serviced residences to follow – offering impeccable spaces with the added touch of a luxury hotel element. Now fully managed by and under the care of The Upper House and Swire’s luxury hotel management arm The House Collective, this is easily one of Hong Kong’s premier serviced residences.
Date of stay: November 2021
Room: One-Bedroom Suite (#3700)
Reviewed by: Chinmoy Lad
PHOTOS AND VIDEOS by CHINMOYLAD
IDEAL FOR GUESTS LOOKING FOR:
- Size. Entry level One-Bedroom Suites start at a very generous 1,260 square feet, going up to 2,560 square feet for the Three-Bedroom Suites. For those familiar with The Upper House, the One Bedroom Suites are somewhat comparable to Upper Suites, with even better utilisation of living spaces.
- Space to entertain. A benefactor of being one of the older residences, the living spaces in particular are phenomenally large, easily capable of hosting a sizeable soiree or entertaining several guests at once.
- Design/ very residential feel. As the apartments are somewhat older in style, the design isn’t really trying to go for that ‘hotel look’ at all – these really do like proper residences/apartments in the city. The end result is a beautifully welcoming design that truly feels like home.
- Stunning views. Some units overlook the harbour/city, but our personal preference here are the units facing in the other direction towards the hills – they’re much more serene, quiet and at night even quite dark, ensuring a great night’s sleep. Especially for lower units, we would recommend hillside views rather than city facing, as those will definitely have plenty of buildings in the field of view. Upper floors would be less affected, but we still preferred the hillside views!
WE ESPECIALLY LOVED THE:
- Maintenance. The maintenance here is really staggeringly good – despite the 30+ year age of the property, the rooms and facilities are incredibly well maintained.
- Service and housekeeping. We don’t have a comparison point as this was our first stay here, so perhaps it has always been this good! But certainly under the management and care of The Upper House, one of our favourite hotels in Hong Kong and especially for its service, the concierge and reception teams at Pacific Place Apartments were incredibly welcoming, friendly, and would go out of thier way when when anything was needed. Housekeeping is particularly on-point here, ensuring everything is kept very clean and tidy, including the kitchen.
- Location. It’s undeniable that this is one of the best locations within the city, right in the heart of the city in Admiralty (downtown Central a short walk away), the four hotels of The Upper House, JW Marriott, Conrad Hong Kong and Island Shangri-La as neighbours, and one of Hong Kong’s best shopping malls for shopping and dining, Pacific Place, just below. It’s also a very lush and green neighbourhood, with the hills backing up Admiralty and Hong Kong Park, the Hong Kong Zoological and Botanical Gardens and the Hong Kong Aviary all just a very short walk away.
- Pantry and (some) stainless steel counter-top kitchens. A very, very spacious kitchen and fully stocked pantry, even for the One-Bedroom units – with a separate microwave and oven grill. Those who love to cook, or will have helpers or chefs at hand, will particularly appreciate this – as this is something lacking from relatively newer residences (where space is a premium and only signature level rooms will have a particularly spacious kitchen setup). Although housekeeping will always take care of your kitchen, the units with stainless steel countertop make it extremely easy to clean up after yourself.
- The TV can be discreetly hidden away. The TV can be tucked away with installed art, a very small but incredibly beautiful detail.
POINTS TO NOTE:
- Some of the tech gadgets and tech-related equipment (e.g. TV, power outlets etc) could do with an upgrade. This will be particularly important for those with children or young adults.
- Although the living room is spacious in the One-Bedroom Suites, the bedroom itself is relatively smaller as a result. However, the larger units do have larger master bedrooms with walk-in wardorbes or even home office spaces.
- While many do, not ALL units come with a bath tub.
- The property doesn’t have its own pool, gym or spa, so facilities are shared between Conrad Hong Kong (within the same building – Pacific Place Apartments occupies the lower half, while Conrad Hong Kong occupies the upper half of the building), and of course, guests naturally have access to almost everything at The Upper House. And while Conrad Hong Kong’s pool space is quite nice, unfortunately it isn’t under the purview of The House Collective, and there is very obvious wear and tear in many places.
- The same point re: facilities is also something to consider if you wish to host guests at a common facility, but not at your own apartment; this is the only part where Pacific Place Apartments lacks a bit of true exclusivity, as you’d have to host them in spaces shared by Conrad Hong Kong or The Upper House guests.
RESIDENCES FACT SHEET
- LOCATION: Admiralty
- OPENED: 1990
- RESIDENCE SUITES: 268
- RATES FROM: HKD $88,000/month up for One-Bedroom Suites
OFFICIAL RESIDENCE PHOTOS
© Pacific Place Apartments / The House Collective
Special thanks to Pacific Place Apartments for hosting us